Commentary and Thoughts - Vandalize: ONE OK ROCK X Sonic Frontiers Lyrics Video

Hi, welcome again to my blog, long time no see!

I want to start something here, it's like a "creator commentary" kind of thing that I throught would be interesting to do, so, I throught the best thing to start it with would be my Vandalize Lyrics Video, maybe you'll find something interesting about it here, some screenshots of the "behind the scenes" and a timeline of how it was going


Timeline and "Behind the scenes" footage

To begin with, I think I started literally the day after the teaser of the song dropped, while I was bored in school I took my phone and said "You know I think I could do something with this, I kinda want to see how much could I push myself

So then I started, the same day I was able to export a "test video" for actually being able to see how it would end up

VandalizeMyLyricsVideo - Test 1


It was definitely rough, it had none of the "lyrics" part of the "Lyrics Video" concept, neither was close to how it would end up starting, but it was progress I guess, and then I continued and export other 3 test videos, it was starting to take form little by little

VandalizeMyLyricsVideo - Test 2

VandalizeMyLyricsVideo - Test 3


I kept working on it for probably a week non-stop, but I didn't export any other test videos, I honestly don't remember anything relevant about this time-window, besides the fact that I was very much focused on the Video BG, forgetting a bit about the "Lyrics" aspect of it... Again

Took a day to start implementing the lyrics, finally the name makes sense

VandalizeMyLyricsVideo - Test 4


Then I continued working on it, both in free time at my home and in school, and I'm going to be real I kept working on this even in some school classes too (yes, my priorities are like this when talking about the blue guy)

The earliest version that resembles the most the final product comes from September 16th

VandalizeMyLyricsVideo - Test 5


After that, everything was basically the same, besides some BG changes and the positioning of the Lyrics

After that, the last Test Video I published was the finalized one, but without lyrics, and lacking a lot of polish, some maybe be able to spot the few differences there are, there are no Lyrics because I was supposed to upload the Clean version first then publish the Lyrics MV with everything ready (spoiler alert: it didn´t happen), and this test was just to seeing how the BG actually looks like when exported, I just "hide" the lyrics and exported it

VandalizeMyLyricsVideo - Test 7


After all that was left was finish the Lyrics, polish a bit of the BG MV, and publish, I was set on the October 8th release

So, I continued working on it

I don´t think there´s anything else to say about this part lol moving on

Next, I had to do the teaser and all that stuff, and it takes a considerable amount of time to do a copy of the proyect and then modify it to be shorter and all that stuff, so, I did that in a point where all I was going to show in the teaser was already there, and nothing else done (the remaining of the lyrics basically), I did the copy of that outdated (probably last september week or maybe a bit earlier), and left it there waiting for when I needed it, then continued working on the full one

I went back to the Teaser proyect file some times anyway, doing changes that I already did to the full one, I rushed it to being able to put it in one of Fadel´s Sonic Sunday tweets to see if people liked it

This post


I went somewhere after that idk, when I got home I posted it on YT too 

Teaser


After that, I don´t think there´s anything else to talk on, just published it, and it´s done!

Now, there´s some screenshots of the making process of the video, some can show changes compared to the final version












Also, there are the original concepts for the thumbnail of the video





My thoughts and comments

Ideas and reasons behind everything

I think the big reason behind me actually doing and finishing this MV, it´s the idea that i´m doing something I believe was "different enough", what I mean with this is, I had this idea of doing a "story" with the MV aspect of it, I hope people noticed that the BG footage is basically the journey in Kronos Island (at least the most I could show with the footage available at that moment", Sonic doing stuff like runing and fighting enemies, going to Cyber Space, getting the Emeralds, trying (and failing) the first Giganto encounter, and finally going Super Sonic start the true fight against Giganto

I think that is enough to make it different than other Lyric Videos for Vandalize that people published before mine, if it wasn´t for this, I probably wouldn´t have finished this one, despite that at the end (with the game out now) the song has a different meaning 

With me already showing the original concept thumbnails, something I can't show is that at some point I wanted to get custom art for the thumbnail, it would probably have looked like the final one but a drawing instead of that edit of Sonic in-game, but I wasn't able to commission it (I'm broke and tbh I don't know how lol) neither was happy with my sketches (I don't even know where those are at rn), maybe someday I will actually use a nice drawing


After release

While i´m really happy with the final result, i´m kinda mixed on how I managed everything, because oh boy, the rush was real, honestly, I rushed it a bit too much, specially in the last week, and even more in the last day, I think I could´ve been more relaxed, but at the same time, I don´t think I should´ve relaxed more, it´s kinda complicaded, at the end

And the consequence of this rush is that there are some issues I didn´t notice while finishing it, I think there was a typo, some text didn´t had a shadow, and I forgot to add some effects, I can´t even blame me for it, but I wish I had a little bit more time and managed a bit better the time I had for everything

A bit after that, I decided to do a YouTube Shorts version of the MV, it was 1 minute or so long, (here), for my surprise, it ended up getting 4x the views the original MV has, I guess it´s okay, but it was definitively unexpected, and the Short only managed to attract a fraction of all the 4k views to the full version, definitively one of my videos of all time

When the official MV released I wanted to add my lyrics to it, so I copied the proyect but replaced all the BG with the official one, and I decided to fix the issues of my version, it probably only took me from 15-30 minutes, that´s all I needed to see the issues, maybe more if I did it in the first time tho so idk

Now, I think it´s well known that i´m working now on a I´m Here Lyrics Video, I think making the Vandalize MV was a good start, hopefully I can do better in all aspects for it

But besides that, I think this is all I have to say for now, hopefully y´all stick around to see how the next 2 MVs end up, thanks for reading!

Comments